20140930-IMG_1939Congratulations to Luke & Yvette’s Meat Processing class who completed the workshop component of their Certificate II in Meat Processing – Food Service at Albert Park on Friday the 19th of September!

Students had the opportunity to learn a range of skills in Meat processing as well as some valuable cookery skills. Over the duration of the workshop, chicken, pork, lamb and beef were covered in detail. The start of each week is spent on the butchery skills, and later in the week students learn how to create different types of restaurant quality dishes with each variety of meat.

The course not only assists students with further skills & a qualification, it also helps to build confidence, friendships and contacts with relevant people in the industry. This course also included a site visit to Gawler River Cattle Meats in Royal Park. Students were given a full tour of the premises where a wide range of high quality meats are processed. This was an excellent opportunity for students to gain a valuable insight to industry and to also acquaint themselves with key people in the industry.

20140930-IMG_194320140930-IMG_194120140930-IMG_1940Job opportunities include butchery apprenticeships, meat retail positions, meat processing positions, kitchen hand positions, chef assistants, aged care food preparation and many more! This course gives students an extensive overview of the meat & food industries and equips them with skills to make them job-ready!

Some feedback from a student named Michelle Murrell, who was a part of this class:

‘I had a fantastic time at the course. It was really helpful learning all aspects of Meat Processing. The butchery side was amazing, I learnt so much. I found ways to incorporate my ‘Your Inspirations at Home’ products and learnt new techniques in the kitchen, both in meat preparation and cooking that I have already used in my catering. The lecturers were fabulous! I finished with new skills, a rekindled passion for cooking, knowledge abundance and new friendships. I highly recommend this course to everyone’ – Michelle Murrell

This course is funded through the SA Government’s Skills for All initiative, and is fee free for eligible participants. If this course is of interest to you or you would like some more information, please contact Independent Institute on 8389 3357 or email jasmine.knoll@iifp.sa.edu.au we would be happy to assist you!